Sunday, February 12, 2012

Making Inferences

Last week I began teaching about making inferences.  I have been very lucky to find tons of amazing, helpful ideas to use to teach this.  I feel like out of all of the metacognitive skills (schema, visualizing, questioning, etc.) that inferring is one of the hardest for me to get across.  But with all of the fun things I found on Pinterest and various blogs, this is feeling like the best intro to inferring I've done.  Yay!!!!  Let me show you some of the things I've been using.  

First I taught my students a fun song about making inferences that I found at Swimming into Second:

 

Then we watched this fun video made by kids for kids on inferences:  


Finally, I made an anchor chart inspired by The First Grade Parade seen here:

 

Get ready to see my ah-mazing piece of art that was my attempt at adapting that anchor chart: 


Please don't judge.  A: I'm not artistic at all.  B: I have no idea how that guy ended up looking so worried/stressed out.  

So that was how I launched inferring.  Over the course of the week I used a ton of ideas from Made in the Shade in Second Grade, from the Inferring Ideas post, including an 
a-w-e-s-o-m-e Inferring Ideas (free!) packet.  


What fun things do you do to teach inferring?

No comments:

Post a Comment